By Regina Benneh, GNA
Abesim (B/R), Dec. 14, GNA - The Bono Regional Office of National Disaster Management Organisation (NADMO) has ended a one-day inspection of hospitality industry outfits and gas filling stations to educate the players on safety measures to prevent disasters in the region.
It was done jointly with a team of personnel from the Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS) Regional Command, Regional Environmental Health and Sanitation Directorate and the Ghana Red Cross Society Regional Secretariat to ensure the prevention of particularly fire outbreaks and all kinds of tragic incidents between now and the end of the dry season.
The team inspected among others fire extinguishers, fire certificates, drainage systems, smoke detectors, first aid kits and equipment and food storage best practices in a number of facilities in the Sunyani East Municipality.
Mr Richard Obeng Baah, the Deputy Regional Director of NADMO, advised the operators and managers of facilities visited, on the need for periodic checks of the expiring dates of fire extinguishers and batteries of smoke detectors to avoid disasters.
Speaking to the Ghana News Agency at Abesim in the Municipality, Mr Baah said many of the hotel facilities were having expired and inadequate fire extinguishers, poor sanitation conditions, ineffective smoke detectors, poor drainage system, inappropriate food storage practicing system, pest infestations and poor lighting systems.
He urged the managers to put things in order to avoid any form of disaster, saying customer patronage of their services increases during occasions like Christmas and the least mistake could result to the loss of lives and properties.
Mr Baah said NADMO would not remain unconcern to be called always to attend to disasters but would move out for managers of hotels and gas filling stations “to do the right things” for the safety of the public.
He said the inspection would be extended to other districts and municipalities.