Accra, May 14, GNA - The Government has committed GH¢200 million to address the perennial flooding challenge across the country to be used for desilting/excavation and construction works under the National Emergency Flood Control Works.
The Ministry of Finance initially approved GH¢5,500,000.00 for desilting/excavation works and later approved GH¢194,500,000.00 for construction works on May 22 and July 27, last year.
Mr Samuel Atta Akyea, the Minister of Works and Housing, said this at the Meet-the-Press series in Accra on Tuesday to update the public on measures government has instituted to bridge the housing deficit, tackle the bad drainage system and prevent coastal erosion.
“This is the first time the Government of Ghana has committed itself in the sum of GH¢200,000,000 to addressing the mocking national issue of flooding,” he said.
“In comparison, the previous government, in 2015, committed a paltry sum of GH¢17,136,342 and GH¢11,802,718 in 2016, which are by every measure a drop in the mighty ocean.”
Mr Atta Akyea said the Entity Tender Committee (ETC) gave approval for the award of contracts to desilt and excavate works on October 24, 2018, December 10, 2018, January 30, 2019 and April 17, 2019, respectively, adding that some desilting works had been completed while a few others are ongoing.
The Minister said the Public Procurement Authority (PPA) approved the contracts and used Restricted Tendering Method, which required at least three shortlisted companies aimed at minimising sole-sourcing of contracts.
The Minister said all the relevant documentation and company profile were submitted to the Hydrological Services Department on September 4, 2018 and September 7, 2018 respectively for due diligence before forwarding to the PPA for approval.
In accordance with the specific instructions of the Finance Ministry, Mr Atta Akyea said his Ministry did not provide advance mobilisation to the contractors for the construction works.
However, due to the huge capital outlays that were required to execute the projects, most of the contractors were still mobilising funds for the execution, which was causing delays.
Mr Atta Akyea, therefore, expressed belief that considering the emergency nature of the projects, the Finance Ministry should issue advance mobilisation to the contractors to facilitate the early completion of construction works since it lay within its remit.
The drainage systems would be constructed in areas including Teshie, Nugua, Ashiaman, Haatso, Frafraha, Kumasi Dichem, Aboabo, Kwesimintsim, Anaji, Cape Coast Holy Child, Akwatia, Koforidua, Tamale Gariba Lodge and Sunyani Penkwasi.